This vegan sweet potato and white bean soup delivers all the goodness of a hearty, creamy soup without any of the heaviness to bog you down.
It’s easy to prepare and has a simple ingredient list. Don’t sweet potatoes make almost everything taste good?
The original recipe is from Health and Wellness Coach Neda Varbanova.
2 medium sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, chopped
1 can cannellini or other white beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
1/2 cup filtered water
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
Sea salt and pepper to taste
Pinch cayenne pepper
Plain yogurt for topping, optional
- Wash the potatoes then peel and cut them into large pieces.
- In a large pot, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, garlic, turmeric and sage. Sauté for 2 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the potatoes, stock, coconut milk and water. Bring to a boil, and lower the heat to medium. Cook for 30 minutes, until the potatoes are soft. Add the canned beans and turn off heat.
- In small batches, transfer the vegetables to a high-powered blender. Add broth as you go, depending on how thick or thin you want the soup to be. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the soup back into the pot. Taste and add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt if desired. Add the cayenne pepper
- Ladle soup into bowls and enjoy with a dollop of yogurt if desired.